Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Neighborhoods in the News Media

I'd like to share one of my Pet Peeves with you. It really goes right through me when I'm watching the news or reading the paper and they have the wrong neighborhood in the story. An example of this, is the previous story posted on this blog. I hate to use something as devastating as a shooting story, but it's the most recent example so I'll use it.

The Post-Gazette reported that the shooting was in Elliott. Now crucible street does flow through Elliott, but this was the section in Greenway that is actually Crafton Heights.

KDKA reported the same story, and they say it was Elliot. So not only did they get the neighborhood wrong, they spelled it incorrectly. As you'll find in future postings this makes me really upset. When I see reputable news services use the spelling of Elliot or Sheriden it's just non excusable. I'm not a grammar expert, and I'm sure you'll find a few mistakes in most of my blogs, but the neighborhoods have been here quite a long time, and the spellings have never changed.

WTAE also claims the incident took place in Elliott when it didn't.

If the media simply reported that it was the West End, this is something I could live with, as Elliott, Sheraden, Crafton heights, Windgap, Chartiers, West End etc are all considered the West End of Pittsburgh. It is acceptable, yet it is the safe way out.

The Tribune Review was the only news source I could find that listed it correctly as Crafton Heights.

The thing that is troubling to me is that these media outlets can find the correct location in under 2 minutes by using Google Maps in conjunction with these City Neighborhood maps provided to us on the City of Pittsburgh Website.

Sorry for the rant, I know it sounds petty and meaningless, but it's just something that bugs me. I also didn't like to use the story of a shooting as the example, and our thoughts go out to the victim and his family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a valid rant and this is one I have taken on for years. I call the newspaper authors when the article hits the web sites and demand a correction which they normally do.