Friday, October 3, 2008

Please Fix Up Your Houses!

I haven't been able to post, as I just haven't had the time. I am in the financial industry and this past week of stock market crashes, bailouts, mismanaged funds, collapsing instituions, etc, has had me a little busy as you could imagine.

I was driving through Elliott the other day and it really struck how many people just let their house become rundown. It is really frustrating for us homeowners that are constantly putting money back into our house to raise the property value. On any given street, you'll see 2 houses that are nice and kept up, then a house with boarded up windows. The only reason anyone at all stays in the neighborhood is because they can't sell their house. Of course they'd be able to sell if the houses around it were nice. Then again if the houses around it were nice, you may not want to leave. I remember when the We-Hav program came out, I thought it was the best thing to happen to our neighborhoods in many years. We all know what happened to that. To this day, everyone I've talked to that opposed it has not given a valid reason other than they thought it was some type of tax. These are probably the same people that wouldn't put money back into their houses anyways. I still thank Alan Hertzberg for a good idea.

Mayor Luke Ravenstahl has a good plan going with his "Housing Blight Crackdown", but as you can see in THIS ARTICLE it's not working right now. It's also geared towards Landlords. What about homeowners who just don't care?

Sorry for the rant, just wanted to get that off my chest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Slum landlords are the single biggest issue right now in our neighborhood.

Just take a look at the once beautiful homes on Ernie Street facing Townsend Park.

Anonymous said...

WE-HAV was a terrible program.